1. more than
A dictionary is more than a book.
He is more than my teacher. He is my friend as well.
The cinema can hold more than 100 people.
Compare “no more than” and “not more than”:
His school education added up no more than one year.
The water is not more than 5 feet deep at any point.
2. free of charge
in charge of
take charge of
in the charge of
The faulty part was replaced free of charge.
Mr. Smith is in charge of his company.
This company is in the charge of Mr. Smith.
3. involve… in…: have sth to do with…; take part in…
Many children are involved in the school sports meet.
It’s unwise for you to get involved into their quarrel.
Don’t involve others in your trouble.
4. close to: near
Go further away! You are too close to me.
It’s close to 6 o’clock
The book store is close to our school.Word usage:
1. theme n. topic of discussion; main idea or topic in literary works, musical piece, etc.
The main theme of discussion was press censorship.
The theme of the poem is love and peace.
Our school themes must be written in ink and on white paper.
2. amuse v. entertain, make time pass pleasantly
A clown's job is to amuse the spectators.
It was too rainy to play outside, so she amused herself with a book.
He amused himself by playing the flute.
3. amusement n. the state of being amused; entertainment, a way of passing time pleasantly
To our amusement, the actor jumped on and off the stage.
Reading and seeing movies are among my amusements.
They often sing for their own amusement.
4. variety n. state of being varied or different; many sidedness; collection
of different things
What other ways do you know to add variety?
People like to live a life full of variety.
He has a variety of interests.
5. charge n. price set for getting goods or services; load, duty or responsibility
v. give as a job or task; entrust; blame or accuse by law; record as a debt; fix a price; rush upon or attack;
This store often charges only 65 US cents a dozen for large eggs.
Please charge my account.
They charged the enemy three times.1. up to now 直到现在
2. content 满足的，满意的
3. feel/be content with 对…满足
4. badly off 穷的，缺少的
5. entertain 使欢乐，款待
6. overcome 克服
7. pick out 挑出，辨别出
8. cut off 切断，断绝
9. convince 使信服
10. direct 导演，指挥;直接的
11. star in 担任主角
12. slide 使滑动
13. whisper 耳语，低语
14. react 做出反应，回应1. human beings 人类
2. campaign 运动
3. behave 行为
4. shade 阴凉处
5. move off 离开，启程
6. observe 观察
7. respect 尊重
8. argue 讨论，辩论
9. lead a...life 过着…的生活
10. crowd in 涌入脑海
11. support 支持
12. look down upon/on 看不起
13. refer to 查阅，参考，涉及
14. by chance 碰巧
15. come across 偶遇
16. intend 计划，打算
17. deliver 提送，生(小孩)，接生，发表(演说)
18. carry on 继续，坚持1. 一般过去时的定义
一般过去时表示过去某一时候或某一段时间所发生了的事情或存在的状态。常与过去时间yesterday, this morning, just now, a moment ago, in May, last night / year / week, once upon a time, the other day, before …, when – clause, in the past连用。如：
What did you do yesterday? 昨天你干了什么?
I met Lin Tao this morning. 今天上午我会到了林涛。
I was there a moment ago. 刚才我在那儿。
Jim rang you just now. 吉姆刚才给你打了电话。
(2) 表示过去经常或反复发生的动作。常接时间副词often, usually, always, sometimes, every day / week, etc. 如：
We often went out for a walk after supper. 我们过去常在晚饭后散步。
We usually played together. 我们通常一起玩。